Thursday, October 23, 2008

In Vientiane...


Hey!

So, it has been already a week here in Laos, and this country is surprising me a lot!

The first days I was In Luang Prabang, surrounded by french colonial architecture mixed with budhist temples. I was really feeling very good in Luang Prabang, it was very quiet and calm, I even spent one day in a cooking class trying to learn the secrets of the Lao food, I enjoyed it a lot, I couldn't believe when it was cooked that I did it. I promise that when I will be back I will cook something for you!

It was very difficult to leave Luang Prabang, I would highly recommend the guest house where I was staying, it was a very new one called "Phontida", just behind the Mount Phousi. The family that were in charge of the hostel was very friendly they even invited me to join them for their lunch, there was all the family there and all knew my name!

Finally I decided to move and go down to Vang Vieng, a city full of backpackers where you can do any outdoor activity like kayaking, climbing, trekking... but the main reason people goes to Vang Vieng is for the "tubbing", that basically consists in going down the river on a big tractor tube. It was very relaxing, and you can find several bars where you can stop for a drink and jump to the river from swings and zips. Was quite funny, even when it was dark and we were still tubing the river down with no light!

But Vang Vieng was too touristic for me, and this morning I decided to move to the capital of Laos, Vientiane. I was thinking that Vientiane would be some kind of Bangkok with busy streets with plenty of noise, cars, tuk-tuks, polution... but it's not. It's very quiet and relaxing, like all Laos. I spent the evening walking throw the center and it seems there is not too much to do, but I think I will spend here a couple of days relaxing with a book in a terrace on the Mekong river.

I am really enjoying the calm here in Laos. Here the people doesn't get stressed, there is no time, there is no timetable for the bus, it just leaves between 7 or 8. Here there is no future, people just leave in the present. I was thinking to move to Vietnam after Vientiene, but I think that I will go down to the south of Laos, I think it deserves to spend some more time here in Laos.


Nice sunset in Vang Vieng

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gerard,

Nice to hear that you enjoy Laos, Vientiane and its *2* main streets (maybe more by now :p).
When I went there I arrived from China, it is a long way (even longer when there is landslides) to get there but it is worth it.

At the very south "Si pahn Don", 4000 islands is really laid back, like the whole of Laos :). Well, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.....

Manu, 100km away from Catalonia

Ricard de la Vega said...

M'ho apunto, quan passis per Barcelona ens hauràs de fer un soparet laosenc!

Dani Sanchez-Feutrie said...

Do dot move from the non-stressed area! Lucky you!

Y quan passis per Cork tambe ens has de fer un sopar d'aquests. Pero no spice.

Enjoy!

News from Cork: there is the Jazz festival this weekend, you know what it is: busy pubs,...

Tamara said...

Hola!!

Según te leo me das cada vez más envidia. La verdad es que hay que ser muy valiente para coger las cosas e irte a la aventura, pero el resultado parece ser maravilloso. Me gustaría ser tan intrépida como tú y poder vivir una aventura tan maravillosa..
Sigue disfrutando tu aventura!
Un besazo,

Tamara

Javi said...

herramienta, dale un toque a mi amiga Irene que vive en Vientiane.
ya te dije que Laos sorprende, e impresiona...
As for the tubing, I hope ye didn't commit the same mistake I did and have mushroom shakes at the last bar, and then go down the river with a bunch of insane paddies in the middle of the monsoon rain and when it was already dark...that was a pretty crazy experience...

belen said...

Hey Gerard!
ya no escribes tanto como antes, eso es que ahora estas empezando a disfrutar de verdad. Laos suena tan bien, me encanta eso de que todo es superelajante.
Besos 1000 cuidate y escribe pronto!!
Belen
Daniiii se te ha escapado una frase en catalan ;)