Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In Nha Trang...

Like in the movie 'diarios de una motocicleta', during these last 4 days I felt like Che discovering Vietnam on a motorbike. It was supposed to be only one day from Mui Ne to Dalat, but at the end I've been riding all the Central Highlands for 4 days and I am now back to the rainy coast in Nha Trang.

The first day in Mui Ne we left very early with 'the River', the crazy guide and driver of the motorbike. We went riding throw small roads to the cool Dalat city, in the mountains at 1400 meters. It was long time now without feeling the cool weater and air in the mountains. I even had to dig in my backpack for a jacket and a scarf! That night in Dalat was quite interesting, we stayed in a backpackers hostel chating with other people that had been doing the motorbike trip to the mountains, arround glasses of hot peanut and soja milk to fight again the cold. So then I decided to go for it, and spend three more days with 'the River' in the mountains.

Next morning, we rode from Dalat to the Dalak mountains region, crossing small villages, nice landscapes and stopping to see different traditional jobs in Vietnam. We stopped in brick factory, a silk factory, a mushrom farm, tea and coffe plantations, green peper plantations and even we stop to see how it's done the rice paper where they roll the spring rolls... The children were going out to the street when they hear the noise of the motorbike and were waving 'hello'!! Unfortunatelly our motorbike broke in the afternoon and we had to push it a couple of kilometers until we found a garage. We were in the middle of nowhere, and people were looking at me as stranger. While River was trying to fix the motorbike, I went for a walk arround the town and all the children were following me...

It was getting dark, the motorbike was still broken, so River put me in a van that was passing throw the main road to go to the next village where there was a guest house. I felt bad to leave him alone but I got inside the van that was packed with 16 more people (it was supposed to be 12 seats only). They van left me in a Guest house in a village where nobody was speaking English and everybody wanted to tell me something. Finally I went for dinner in a Bar waiting for River. Everybody was looking a football match between Vietnam and Thailand, when the phone rang, the turn down the TV and the waitress looked and pointed at me. It was River, that he could not fix the bike. He was very sorried but he was going to get a truck back to Dalat and pointed me how to get the Bus back to Dalat on my own. I was a little bit sad, so I was alone in a place where nobody spoke English... Anyway, I went to sleep and arround half six in the morning, somebody knocked at the door. It was River that finally had come with a friend of him, Dennis, who I already met him in Dalat, to continue the trip with me. I really apreciated this. We had breakfast all three together, so Dennis had been awake since 2am to go from Dalat to pick River and come to the city I was staying.

So that day I did the trip with Dennis and maybe River would join us at night once the motorbike was fixed. That day rained a lot. We went throw the small roads to see waterfalls and very nice landscapes, but we were completelly wet. My feet were swimming inside my shoes, so it was not very funny but was a nice experience. We staied that night in Buon Nha Thuot. We went to have dinner with Dennis and he took me to a Karaoke bar, full of Vietnamesse people singing cozy songs... it was funny! The last day, it was sunny and was to come back the 200 km to get back to the coast in Nha Trang, stopping along the road. It was very nice!

Anyway, so I enjoyed a lot these days, from Mui Ne to Nha Trang, you can take a borring 4 hour bus, but I would really recommend to get the 4 days tour to the mountains with Easy Riders, where you can see the real Vietnam! River and Dennis were always very nice with plenty of histories to explain (not sure if all of them were true, though), I really appreciate that even when there were problems with the motorbike, I really felt that their first concern was about my seucurity and confort. If you ever want to do it, contact River (http://www.vietnameasyrider.com).

I am now in the coast, where is rainning a lot again. So far in Vietnam I am not lucky with the weather. In 2 hours I am taking a 12 hours bus to Hoi An, I am not sure if I can fit now in a bus after the amazing days in the motorbike.

I would really like to upload pictures to the blog, but so far it seems that the USB is not working on this computer... :-( I will have to call tech support!

13 comments:

Iratxe said...

Do you want me to open a ticket for you? ;)

Dani Sanchez-Feutrie said...

Do not complain about the rain. You should be used to it after living in Cork!

Keep posting these great stories,I might use them the day I decide to do something similar.

Top man!

Tamara said...

Hola!!!!

Espero que te vengas pronto a Cork y nos cuentes todas las anécdotas en persona. Te echamos de menos!!!

Un beso!

Unknown said...

Hola!!

Me alegro que te lo estes pasando tan bien en esta aventura. Creo que todos nos morimos de envidia. Disfruta todo lo que puedas y sigue poniendo muchas fotos.
Haznos una visita pronto y hacemos una fiesta de bienvenida a lo grande!!

Un besito!!!

Dolores

Unknown said...

Kaixo!!!!

Voy a ser breve: Faltas tu en ents comidad familiares.... Te echamos de menos.. espero verte pronton!

Te queremos...

Andere

Unknown said...

HEy geraaaaaaaarddd!!!

Joe, hace un monton que no te escribo nada!!
Bueno, la verdad es que Iratxe nos mantiene informados y parece que todo te va genial por alli!

Que sepas que se te echa mucho de menos por aqui y que nos acordamos de ti cada vez que nos juntamos!!

Hoy aqui estabamos todos reunidos y otra vez hablando de ti... pero bien ehhhhh, no te vayas a pensa!! jejejeje.

Bueno artista, un abrazo muy grande, te esperamos en Cork, a ver cuando vienes para contarnos en persona que tal tu aventura!!

Cuidate!!
Jon.

Josu said...

Hola Gerard, que tal va tu periplo por Indochina? Por lo que leo en los post, te lo estás pasando estupendamente. A ver cuando haces acto de presencia en Cork, que se te echa de menos.

Arkaitz Gaztanaga said...

que pasa figura!!!! por fin me digno a escribirte algo. por aki todo sigue igual, tratando de disfrutar a tope la experiencia. ya veo que tu estas haciendo lo mismo en otro sitio. por lo que cuenta Iratxe tu venbtura esta llegando a su fin, espero que hayas encontrado todo lo que estabas buscando. ya sabes que aki te esperamos con los brazos abiertos cuando quieras y para lo que quieras. ya te contare en otro post con un poco mas de calma que aqui ya me estan metiendo presion.un abrazo enorme y esperemos que hasta pronto.

belen said...

Geraaaarrrrddd!! como sigue tu viaje? por ahora todo es disfrutar, que siga asi!!
Muchos besos pendejo
te echamos un monton de menos, ven pronto por aqui
Belen

Dani Sanchez-Feutrie said...

hello. we are here together aving lunch. at 16h! drinking vratislav!!! my god! Guess at these hours you are sleeping, they did not let me to phone you :(

Iratxe said...

Ei Garard ;) Com veus ja no només llegeixen el blog els familiars i jo...
Aquí estem tots enrecordant-nos de tu. Quan tornis fem un Tom Barry's eh, i un Crane Lane i el que faci falta!
Bueno nano, ens veiem pel msn i seguim amb les nostres xerreres.
Un petonas!

Unknown said...

hi gerard!!!!!!!!!!!
how are you? espero ke estes bien por alli pasando buenas esperiencias, y disfrutando lo mas k puedas. ke haras por navidades te kedas o vuelves paki, haber si te vemos pronto y hacemos una vienvenida a lo grande.
ongi segi!!!!!!

eveane said...

good to hear and read your news.

here is is not the same without you but this week end i had a really good time in crane lane.

I am going to Barcelona for a week.
i wish you could show me the place ... but i will have to rely on manu for that.

take care

stephane