Friday, November 14, 2008

The first beach in the trip... Mui Ne


Hey...

It's been one month and a half in south east Asia to see the first beach!! I am in Mui Ne, a very quiet village 3 hours far from Saigon. I came here to relax after Cambodia and my idea was to spend a couple of days laying in the beach, but since I arrived it has been raining :-( but with beautifull sunsets. So, now that I have plenty of time I will bother you with some history I've learnt during these 5 days that I've been in Vietnam.

Vietnam has been involved in wars 4 times. Until the 10th century Vietnam had a lot of problems with China. Then, during 19th century French conquered and imposed, in a violent way, significant cultural changes. But some communist groups resisted the ideas the colonization. The first communist group was set up by Ho Chi Minch during 1925. Duruing the Second World War, the communist resisted the ocupation by the Japanese, and when the War was finished Ho Chim Minh declared Vietnam independent. France wanted to get it back and finally on 1954 during the Geneva Accords, it was agreed to separate Vioetnam on the Ben Hai River. Northern Vietnam was communist, governed by Ho Chi Minh, and southern Vietnam, non communist and former French supporters, governed by Ngo Dinh.

During 1960, a communist guerilla (Viet Cong) was created to fight against Dinh (or southern Vietnam). Since the beggining USA supported South Vietnam, trying to avoid to extend communist arround Asia. First USA only offered weapons and logistics. Then on 1965 USA send also soldiers. American people got out in the street asking some justification for the war and asking to stop the war. During 1973, US forces left Vietnam. On 1975, Saigon was conquired by North Vietnamese and they changed the name to Ho Chi Minh City. Vietnam was then reunificated by the communist. And nowadays, they still live in communist government but with capitalism ideas.

Ok, it's enough of history for now, but this was essencial to understand and the breathtakin war museum in Saigon and the Cu Chi tunnels built to hide from the war...

Here in Mui Ne there is only beaches and sand dunes. A nice place to relax and have a huge plate of seafood at night for less than 5 euros. I hired here a bicicle and I've been under the pooring rain along the coast and dunes. But almost all the day I've been in the Guest House talking with the other travellers!

Probably tomorrow I will go to Dalat. Everything depends on the weather so I will try to go by motorbike!

I miss you a lot!

Gerard


Nice sunset in Mui Ne. Actually, last evering I saw the best sunset in my life. Everything was red, the sky, the sea, all the boats, all the faces... Unvelibable, it lasted only 4 or 5 minutes but was brilliant!



Ohh... by the way... I think I've lost something in Vietnam :-p

2 comments:

belen said...

ooohh con lo bien que te quedaba esa barba y esas greñas que te estaban creciendo otra vez
estaras disfrutando muchisimo con esos atardeceres, y como te estas poniendo en historia, well done!!
1000 besos y sigue contandonos cosas
Belen

Marta said...

Geraaaard!!!
t'han pres el pèl!!!
un petonàs!