Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lost in Langkawi, a paradise in Malaysia...

Hey!! It's been now long time without any update! So, I am now in Langkawi, this is an small island in the west part of the peninsula of Malaysia, very close to Thailand. After all the problems in Bangkok Airport, I had to change my flight scheduled to go to Thailand, and I flew to Kuala Lumpur, in Malaysia.

Kuala Lumpur is a big and modern city with a lot of skyscrapers, shopping centers and with a Mac Donald's on every corner. After two months eating noodles and rice, I couldn't resist the temptation to get a Big Mac, with large Coke and chips. In Malaysia the prices are fixed and you don't need to negotiate it in advance, this was difficult to get used after the Cambodian and especially the Vietnamese days where you had to get angry to get a good deal

Malaysia is a country with a lot of cultural and religion mixes and you can really feel it walking in the street. You can find Malaysians of Chinese descent, Malaysians of Indian descent, War refuges from Cambodia or Vietnam who settled down here during war times... The main religions and the official is Islam, but Buddhism, Christianity and Hinduism is very extended as well.

I spent a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur, there is not too much to see rather than the new town, with skyscrapers. I visited the Petronas Twin Towers, who where the highest building of the world until 2003. They hosts the main head quarters of a petroleum company, then you realize how much money the petroleum can give. I also went to the top of the Menara communications antenna, the 5th tallest antenna of the world. It was difficult to walk between these big buildings after the two month trip. In Kuala Lumpur the cars were stopping at the traffic lights so it made so easy to cross the street!

Then, when I was used to the big city, I decided to move on and that I deserved some days of beach. There are too many places to see in Malaysia, but honestly I decided to only get laid in one place for long time. It's a little bit tiring to be moving from town to town every day or every two days. So the chosen place was Langkawi. An small island near Thailand. I've been here for 3 or 4 days already. I hired a motorbike and I've been riding along quiet roads of the island, between swims on the turquoise water beaches and waterfalls.

There is not much to do here, but when I arrived I met a lot of people that had to be in Thailand, but due to the airport problems where in Malaysia. So we created a nice atmosphere, I even met Donna and George with who I traveled with during 3 weeks around Laos and Cambodia.

Unfortunately the weather is not very good. Today has been raining all the day. And the last two days have been quite cloudy. I keep on having bad luck when I go to the beach. The first day I arrived here, the sunny day, I decided to leave the camera at the guest house and that day the light was brilliant... so I have no nice picture from Langkawi yet.

Anyway, now that Thailand seems quiet, I will take a boat and try to get there. I'll keep you updated!


Beach arround Langkawi



Twin towers



Skyline in Kuala Lumpur

3 comments:

Dani Sanchez-Feutrie said...

Hello Gerard,

8 am Monday at work, one of the first daily tst to check your page, but no news since last Sunday. I guess you are still enjoying but not many days left. I'm going for Holidays next wednesday and Iratxe told me you will arrive before Christmas, we could meet in BCN and have some "Mitjanes" around there.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Dani

Unknown said...

Hi Ger
Pat R (vmware) here, I got you blog address from Stephane G. Been looking at your blog. It looks class, hope you made it to the caves in KL. God I miss all those places and you are making me jelious, at the moment, with all your travels. All I want to do is go traveling again :) you will have a real travle bug after all this traveling. I presume you are heading down to Singapore after KL.. You'll love it down there.

All the best and good luck, and keep the blog going, I'm getting great Ideas from it :)

Slan
Pat

núria said...

Gerard!!!!!

Que no escrius! jo no em perdo cap post, eh!
Que és molt interessant tot això!

núria (Arbeca)